Beware that you do not forget the LORD your God by not keeping His commandments, His judgments, and His statutes which I command you today. (Deuteronomy 8:11)
- One of the dangers of owning a lot of stuff is that it can lead to spiritual loss. The more we have and the more we feel we have all we need, the more prone we are to forget our need and desire for God.
- Yet everything we have comes ultimately from God, who gives us richly all things to enjoy. Sadly, our enjoyment of God’s provisions might just mean that we end up loving the gift and forgetting the Giver.
- This is why, when God was getting ready to give His people a life full of bounty in the Promised Land of good and plenty, He warned, “Beware that you do not forget the Lord your God”.
- If God has allowed us to enjoy material abundance, we are to remind ourselves where it came from. All of us, whether rich or poor in world’s goods, have much to be thankful for.
- Let us heed the warning not to forget the Lord and praise Him for His abundant goodness. Let us love the Giver more than the gifts.