But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter. (Romans 7:6)
- When God is at work in our lives, He makes great changes in us.
- Throughout the OT, God told His people to expect major changes between Him and them.
- When God sent Jesus, the Jews felt that their way to God was being destroyed. But Jesus wasn’t destroying anything. He was completing it. The old way paved with laws became a new way paved with the sacrificial love of Jesus.
- And God is still at work replacing old ways of sin and legalism with the way of love that Jesus completed. When He removes our old ways of thinking and behaving, it may feel as if everything familiar is being destroyed. But God is not destroying anything; He is building a better way. And we can be confident that the end result will be smoother relationships with others and a closer relationship with God.
- Upheaval often precedes spiritual progress. We must expect subtle changes in our body, mind, intellect, ego, and in all spheres of life. Spiritual progress is treating people and problems God's way more than our way. If we are to be saved, we must change, and we must do it God’s way.